Saturday, March 12, 2005

TOO MUCH STUFF

OH MY GOSH... way to much stuff to put in a title. First of all, yes you're at the right blog. Kitt helped me fix mine! WOO HOO!!! And she's helping me figure out those neat little progress bars on the right too. And she made my buttons. Take one for your blog please! Aren't they great?!
I LOVE YOU KITT!!!

And amonge other news... I got a wonderful gift in the mail from Kim. Check it out!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Isn't that roving BEAUTIFUL? I've been informed that it is merino... which is so funny & perfect because that's my favorite wool to work with. For some reason the colors remind me of childhood!! I just want to run my face up against it and walk down memory lane. I think it reminds me of my grandmother. I also got a pair of size 1 clover bamboo DPN. Those suckers are TINY! I think since the roving and the needles came together that they want to be wrist warmers or some other such thing that will be knit in the round. Any ideas?

And along DPN lines... check this out... I have FINALLY conquered my fear. Aren't you ladies proud?

okay, yes, I know there's not much there. That is 3 rows of 28 stitches. I'm doing a guage swatch and just learning how to do it. I can already tell that I'll have that ladder problem inbetween the needles. I heard to pull hard, but I did that. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe I'll just have to get used to it.
Also... Lion Brand Magic Stripes is the yarn you see here... great stuff... I really like it so far, EXCEPT the label on the skein says size 4 needles. You get on lionbrand.com and look up their sock pattern for use with this yarn and it says size 3 needles. HELLO. So that's one of the main reasons I'm doing a swatch... I got the "wrong" size needles. I've heard that most socks use size three so I'm sure I'll buy them eventually, but that drove me nuts!!

Onto other things that drove me nuts. My son. I got out of the shower today and walk in my living room to find this:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
That is (was) 3 balls of sugar and cream yarn. They, before Zander got to them, had the wrapper still on them.
So I sit down and after a half an hour this is what I have done:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Notice that the green,yellow,white ball is gone. I got that seperated. Now I'm left with 2 balls of the exact same color. Talk about making my headache worse. It's still sitting on my floor. I'll have to clean it up before I go to bed... but what a headache! Oh, and it's verigated yarn so it's not like it's even easy to follow the tail through the pile of yarn. I should have gotten a picture of zander with it all wrapped around his legs. I didn't think about it. I was so mad my eyes were burning at that moment.
And one final thing... a woman on the Knit Red Knit Along group told me about this neat, free way to make a center pull ball.
Take a toilet paper roll (empty) cut two notches in it and thread the tail in those notches. Start winding around the tube. Once you have a nice size ball started start making the wraps face diagonally as you see here:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Once you're done winding, simply slide the ball off the tube and you've got yourself a center pull ball. I didn't get that far tonight, but I'll show you pictures of what it's like when it's done.
Anyway, the yarn I'm wrapping is patons classic marino. (love that stuff!) and look at how the inside of the factory rolled ball looks:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
That in itself looks like art to me! (easily amused I know.) Well, that's all the stuff I have to share with you tonight. I hope you have a great weekend and until next time, Knit some.

Posted by Melanie at 9:15 PM

15 Comments

  1. Blogger Kathy posted at 12:40 AM  
    Wow! I'm impressed at you trying the dpn's!! Can't wait to see your first pair of socks!
  2. Blogger Kimberly posted at 11:43 AM  
    Hey Mel! I'm so glad you like the roving! :)

    About the ladders, another way you can try to combat them is to rotate the sts on the needles so the same st isn't at the end of the needle every row. But don't worry about them too much, after a washing or blocking they will disappear as the other sts even out.

    Good luck!
    Kim
  3. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:47 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  4. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:47 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  5. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:47 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  6. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:47 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  7. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:47 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  8. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:47 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  9. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:47 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  10. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:48 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  11. Blogger NKTN posted at 12:48 PM  
    Wow, Mel! When you say 'an update', you aren't kidding!
    LOVE your 'blog, and agree, our Kitt IS great!
    Hugs,
    Noreen
    http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
    KnitBlogKnit 'helper', grin!
  12. Blogger Pioggia posted at 5:25 PM  
    Lion Brand Magic Stripes drives me crazy too. I did one pair of socks on US 3 and I'm working on another pair with US 2. I like my US 2 gauge better. I think their test knitters have a very tight gauge. That roving would make a nice pair of lovely mittens, don't you think?
  13. Anonymous Leah posted at 10:41 AM  
    Your roving is BEAUTIFUL! I'm a huge fan of merino too... I got some from Morehouse Farm and for DAYS kept fondling it, actually I still do on occasion.

    I've only used DPN's once (to make diaper covers) but I was terrified... likewise I'm terrified to try socks.

    My Mollie doggy got ahold of one of my skiens of Kiogu I'm using for my shawl and I caught her just in time because she was whapping it around like a fish. It makes me bleh to think if I hadn't have walked in when I did I would have come across something like what you did. You must have the patience of a saint... cause my blog would have been filled with "*bleeps*" :)
  14. Blogger Kara posted at 6:12 PM  
    Well, I managed to put a link to your blog, but I can't figure out how to get your cute little bar over to my blog. I'm very new at this.
  15. Blogger Kathy posted at 6:54 PM  
    Mel - We need an update on the dpn's and the spinning! Inquring minds have to know! :)

Post a Comment

« Home