Wednesday, March 16, 2005

WHAT DID I DO???

Okay... here's my sock this morning before I started the toe decreases. Beautiful huh???
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here's it after I finished.... notice anything??
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
No? How about now?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yes, the toe faces the wrong way. So... to you experienced sock knitters... did I just mess up the grafting/kitchener stitch or did I mess up the toe decreases??
Here is a picture of it on... the white lines indicate which way the toe shape goes:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I know it's blurry... I'm sorry. That's the negative of getting a closeup with a flash only and no daylight... so bare with me.

Now... I started the toe decreasing on what I thought was the 1st needle. It was the needle where the first stitch would have been in the middle of the heel. Or is that the 2nd needle? Should I have started on the needle that ended with the middle of the heel??

GRRR. Anyway, I picked up another skein of this yarn (Lion Brand Magic Stripes... only $5.99 for those that like to really waste yarn and mess up their projects! LOL) since I know I will no longer have enough to do a pair of socks.

HELP ME! I'M DROWNING!!! Off to knit a cuff (cause I know I can do THAT right.)

Posted by Melanie at 9:34 PM

6 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:17 PM  
    How frustrating! Sorry I can't help as I'm not what I'd call an experienced sock knitter--but keep it up, you'll get it eventually.

    My daughter "lost" her hand knit Christmas socks when we were at a hotel over the weekend. Many tears...Thankfully the cleaning staff found them and we are in the process of getting them back.

    Those hand-knit socks are valuable...

    Kathie
  2. Blogger Kathy posted at 12:19 AM  
    Ugh! I feel your frustration! I'm still too scared to knit socks, so I can't help you.
  3. Blogger Kary posted at 6:26 AM  
    Hi Mel!
    I think you started your toe decreases on the wrong needle. :( The kitchner stitch looks wonderful! I mark my '1st' needle by placing a stitch marker between the first & second stitches - that way it doesn't fall off. This can be saved!! It is an awesome sock. Good luck with the 'remodel'. HUGZ
  4. Blogger vi posted at 8:58 AM  
    I did something similar once on a toe up.
    I knit the toe sideways to the heel.
    you can just rip it back and knit it up right with the decreases matching the decreases on the gusset.

    I had to cut my toe off, pick up the live stitches and knit a different toe.
    it feels ok and no one sees it in my shoes but I know.
    now I am VERY careful.now, I always use stitch markers, they stay at the sides, this way were there is a stitch marker there is either a side heel or a side of foot or a side of toe.
    I can't make a mistake that way.
    sorry
    vi
  5. Anonymous Beth posted at 12:02 PM  
    I started with that pattern/tutorial too! Lots of great info there. Here's my suggestion for your next sock (or this one if you'd like to rip it out and do it over). Put your stitches on 4 needles (equal amounts on each), 2 for the top of the foot and 2 for the bottom. Needle #1 will be from the middle of the heel to the side of the sock, needle #2 will be from the side to the middle of the top. Needle #3 will be from the middle of the top to the other side, and needle #4 will go from the side to the middle of the heel. If you do this, your decreases will always be at the end of needle 1, beginning of needle 2 (one set of decreases) -- and again at the end of needle 3 and the beginning of needle 4. It'll be so much easier to see the sides where the decreases should go. Also be sure to knit a plain round between your decrease rounds - the decreases will be much smoother.

    Here's a link to one of my blog entries that has a photo where you can see the finished toes on a sock pretty well that I did this way.
    http://craftycanines.typepad.com/stuck_on_socks/2004/09/photo_fest.html
    Hope this helps, Good Luck! And don't be afraid to rip it if you don't like it - it's a free do-over. :)
  6. Blogger Pioggia posted at 10:36 PM  
    Your toe would have been perfect, you just seem to have started the decreases on the wrong needle. I prefer toe-up socks, and I use stitch markers. There's a good article on toe-up socks somewhere in Knitty:http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATtiptoptoes.html

Post a Comment

« Home