Wednesday, April 20, 2005

An Update From Kentucky

Hey... just a quick update to let you know that I'm still alive. Alive, kicking, and screaming. I'm having a great time visiting with family and am so glad to be back "home." I can't wait to move back here next May.

I'm only wishing that I could get that actual vacation. Nick is here, but working with my father everyday. I'm still not seeing much of him. Which I'm used to, but I'm started to get aggervated that I'm not getting a break from Zander. It sounds awful but I'm sure mothers understand. An 18 month old can be very tiring, especially when you are usually a single mom. I need some time without him. I got 2 hours last night (my mom and I took a knitting class) but when I came home Zander wasn't bathed, had a poopy diaper and was just in a bad, cranky mood. Made me want to turn around and walk right back out the door.

Anyway, knitting class. My mom and I went to knitwits in Northern Kentucky and took a triangular scarf/shawlette pattern. My mom's will be a triangular scarf (she took it to work with her so I can't snap a picture) and mine will be a shawlette. Here it is so far.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is a fun, easy, quick project. Using 200 yards of novelty yarn & size 17 needles.
Cast on 30, knit the first row. Every other row is also knit but is started with the first stitch being a KFB to increase. Do this until you reach 130 stitches/run out of yarn/like the size. :-)

I used Lion Brand Incredible (ribbon yarn-- my first project with ribbon yarn-- love it) and eyelash yarn. This eyelash yarn is fantastic. I hate fun fur and the likes. It looks like the project needs a good close shave. In other words, most projects with fun fur are TOO furry. I'm not throwing any flames here. I've used fun fur. I made a scarf for my cousin and she loved it and I'm glad I used it, but I don't like it personally for me. BUT the stuff I'm using -- GGH "Fancy" yarn. It looks like this up close:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Please keep in mind that this is also taken with the ribbon yarn. But check out those eyelashes!!! Or lack thereof. Few and far between! This is one of those less is more things. You can see and order the yarn here: Fancy Yarn

Great stuff. Anyway, that's all the info I have for now... I have done more knitting, but I'll post all about it later. I also want to show you what my mom (a real knitting Newbie) has been up to. I'm so proud of her.

Here, I leave you with my mom's spoiled rotten doggie, Zoey.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Posted by Melanie at 1:54 PM

6 Comments

  1. Blogger Kimberly posted at 10:23 PM  
    Oh, I love the yarn! I will have to find something to make with it...

    And what an adorable little dog! :p

    Hope the rest of your stay is fun!!

    Kim
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:33 PM  
    I can sympathize with your
    need for a break from kids. I'm married to a man who works a lot--although he's not gone like your husband--and I rarely get out. Sometimes when I do make it to our monthly quilt guild meeting I get home and the dinner I made for them prior to my leaving is still on the stove and their dirty plates piled on the counter. It feels like punishment for my having gone somewhere without them...

    Kathie
  3. Blogger Ruinwen posted at 9:55 AM  
    I'm sorry your vacation isn't leaving you much free time :(

    But I love your yarn. It looks really fun to work with! :)

    Ruinwen
    :)
  4. Blogger Pioggia posted at 9:22 PM  
    That yarn is almost as pretty as the dog!
  5. Blogger Kathy posted at 2:33 PM  
    Hurry back, Melanie!
  6. Blogger SheKnits posted at 2:09 AM  
    Mel!

    I'm glad you're keeping yourself busy! Sorry you arent getting much without-Zander time.

    Did you get the yarn I sent you? I need to find a fourth skein. Yikes! Im scared!

    Have fun while youre vacation lasts, even if you have to force yourself.

    :o)
    Christine

Post a Comment

« Home