Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Fire Update

Well, we've got our rental car. A nissan sentra. I miss my car already (Which to answer someone's question is a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am.) It's still sitting in my driveway. And actually the shock of everything is getting worse. The adjuster came yesterday to check out the car. Said he doesn't suspect arson. DUH- If I were gonna set a car on fire it would have been the one I just sold. And if I were gonna set this one on fire I certainly woulda moved it away from the house and just let it burn. We wouldn't have extinguished the fire.

The guy said there's water damage, it would need a whole new dashboard, windows (all around), the ceiling burned so would need replaced, which would probably mean the sun roof would need replaced, and it needs a new driver's side door. He said he couldn't tell what the electrical damage was but imagined it would be extensive. And to top it off he said the smell would never leave that car. My neighbor's husband opened up the door yesterday to check it out since he wasn't home on Sunday and after 5 seconds of it being opened my neighbors across the street could smell the fire/smoke/soot. To anyone that's been through a fire... they know... the smell is dredful.
Anyway, he opened the hood and checked all the fluid levels, the transmission fluid, and the checked to see that the oil was clean. The guy remarked how great the exterior and engine looked and was shocked that the oil was so clean. (I had just changed it 2 weeks ago.) I have always taken great care of this car and I think that will help when the time comes to cut the check. So, let it be a lesson learned. Those guys really pay attention to that stuff. So try to keep your car as clean as possible... you never know what may happen. And with the way insurance companies try to get away with as little payment as possible, you don't want anything to give them that says, "I don't take care of my vehicle." I did learn that in CT, this is considered a fire loss and my deductible is waived. Nick was smart and had us at a $250 deductible so we weren't going to loose that much as it was, but it's nice to know we'll get that much more.

There are still now two depressing thoughts. Kelly Blue Book says that the car should be worth $8,200. Upon looking on-line cars that are exact to mine with milage that is similar are only going for between $7,000-$7,500. And I have a feeling they'll offer me less than that. But let's just say this will not be an easy settle for them. I want to replace that car with something comparable. I'm not downgrading since this is the family's only car and since I just got out of one loan I'm certainly not upgrading and getting another loan.

The second depressing thought is that we discovered yesterday that Zander's car seat is ruined. For some reason I was fine all day, and just moving on, but last night as I was trying to scrub the soot and spray the foam lining with febreeze I got very upset. Like I have the money to buy a new car seat. Right now I have to pay for the rental car until insurance re-imburses us. We are a one income military family that lives pretty much paycheck to paycheck. Luckily thanks to the world of FREECYCLE. I was able to post a wanted ad and had a car seat (delievered to my house by the wonderful woman) in less than 40 minutes. People can be so helpful in times of need.

Well, time to get on the phone. I called my claim person yesterday morning at 8:30 and NEVER heard back from her. I should have known that when she has a message that says, "Please don't leave duplicate messages" that she's flaky. If she doesn't call me back today I will call my un-named insurance company. (GUY-CO) and request another one. I can't stand that crap. Just do your job. This is what you're paid for.

Knit some for me. And thank you thank you thank you for all the kind e-mails comments and knitting-chicks posts. You guys are really terriffic.

Posted by Melanie at 8:04 AM

6 Comments

  1. Blogger KnitNana posted at 8:51 AM  
    Oh, Mel, honey, I'm so sorry for your grief and frustration! Just consider yourself hugged, we're all here - so vent away! It will be a funny story - when you're far enough away from it...
    Put one foot in front of the other...better days are coming!
  2. Blogger Pioggia posted at 10:38 PM  
    I'm so sorry this happened to you! I do hope you get proper reimbursement and that you'll get a nice car... you are getting a new car, right?
  3. Blogger CjSachiko posted at 12:04 PM  
    I hope things are getting better! I've also tagged you for a meme. Check it out here.
  4. Blogger Kristen posted at 8:43 PM  
    I hope you are doing well! I saw the news of the bases this week and thought about you and your family - I hope the news changes for you!

    As for the car situation, I can only offer to send you good vibes! I know what it's like to be attatched to a car, and hope you find another one that is what you want/need. Good luck with the rest of your "move!"
  5. Blogger SheKnits posted at 12:54 PM  
    I hope by now you have a tad bit more information from the Insurance Company. Did you recieve a phone call back? Multiple meesages... leave them! Who cares what they want... you're the one who has had to put life kinda on hold for right now until things can get settled. Hoping and Praying things get better!
  6. Blogger etryer posted at 6:50 PM  
    1000's Free Live Web Cams adult friends adult live webcam chat Live web cams! Chat now!

Post a Comment

« Home