Sunday, May 08, 2005

Happy Mother's Day to Me :-(

Well, I was outside with my dog this afternoon and heard a pop coming from the driveway. I turned my head and see smoke coming from the hood of my car. I called into the house where Nick was working on my Mother's Day Dinner. I said (calmly at this point) "Nick, something's wrong with the car." I turn back outside to look at the car and now smoke is POURING from the hood. Stick my head back inside, (Frantic this time) "Nick, hurry the car's on fire." He is out of the house in a few steps. He runs to the driver's side and throws open the driver's side door. I see flames pouring from the doorway. My feet are literally frozen to the ground. Thank God my husband thinks in an emergency. He is back to the front of the house, throwing on the hose and yelling at me to call 911. I can't move... it's like everything is taking minutes to process. I call 911, and tell them that my car is in my driveway on fire. They put me on hold. (YES... ON HOLD.) Then they pick back up and I'm yelling my address out to them and telling them my car is on fire. "One moment ma'm we need to tranfer you to Groton Emergency." (YES... I'M ON HOLD AGAIN TO BE TRANSFERED.) They pick up again, And I have to tell them that the car is on fire again. Finally the fire department gets there, but thank god hubby already had the fire out. He turns his head, glances over his shoulder and says, "Happy Mother's Day."
Here is my car in it's current state. This is the windshield... that's the "pop" I heard:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here's the view from the passenger side:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And this is the real good stuff here...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You can see that the fire started in the fuse box right there. Every window is black, the driver's side seat is ruined, the whole dash and driver's side door is ruined, the ceiling, and who knows what wiring.

Thank God we had full coverage, $250.00 deductible, and rental car service. But, we just got rid of our second car 2 weeks ago. What are the chances? But on the up-side... Nick was in port and at the house when in happend. He leaves again before all this will be taken care of, but it's nice to have him here to help with all the phone calls, rental stuff, etc.

And THANK GOD we weren't in the car, or driving when this happened. And THANK GOD I happened to be outside when it happened or who knows how long until we would have noticed it.

Unfortunately I didn't get to enjoy the nice spread Nick prepared for me for Mother's Day Dinner. Instead I sat at the kitchen table and cried and felt sorry for myself and nibbled a buiscuit. But don't worry, I'm over the self-pity now. Everything will work out. I'll figure it out. All I can say is:

THIS REALLY SUCKS!

Posted by Melanie at 8:20 PM

10 Comments

  1. Blogger lioness posted at 9:02 PM  
    Oh Melanie, so sorry for all that bad stuff...But like you said, "Thank God"..He certainly must have been looking out for you and yours..And I thought my day was bad...God bless you, honey!
  2. Anonymous Kathie posted at 10:13 PM  
    Melanie:

    Looking on the bright side--this will probably be the worst Mother's Day of your life and will make a funny story to tell in years to come.

    Sorry for your day.

    Kathie
  3. Blogger KniTaPaLooZa posted at 10:24 PM  
    Oh Melanie I am so sorry for this but look at it this way - No one got hurt and I second Kathie's comment - it will make one funny store in years to come just not right now. Take care and a true heart felt "Happy Mother's Day"
  4. Blogger Lady Gnome posted at 11:19 PM  
    Okay, you win. I already feel silly for complaining about my day. Add to that the news item that a man in FT Worth tried to blow up his mothers house with her in it, and I will quit complaining about my kids too.
    We (ex and me) lost our classic VW convertible to fire. He was in it. It is a sad and scary thing. Good luck.
  5. Blogger Jen:) posted at 12:33 AM  
    My goodness! This really was a goofy mother's day...can we call for a "do-over"?
    Not that you need another thing to do...but have you contacted the manufacturer of your vehicle?
    And, what's going on with 911 lately?
    Yikes, what a day! Hopefully tomorrow will be better :)
  6. Blogger Kitt posted at 1:27 AM  
    Oh Mel! I'm so sorry to hear about this! I have to ask, what kind of car is this? Gosh, I hope the car manufacturere does something about this!
    Thank goodness Nick was home and you're right, no one was in the car or hurt!
    AND....no knitting stash in the car (I hope!)...j/k.
    I agree with all comments posted...it will be a great story to tell one day!
    ((HUGS))
    Kitt
  7. Blogger CjSachiko posted at 11:42 AM  
    Sorry to hear about the damage to the car. The Clapotis is looking great!
  8. Blogger Lisa posted at 1:05 PM  
    Oh Melanie!!!! I'm glad you can list the "high" points - with Nick being home and you being outside. I don't even want to begin to imagine if you had been driving somewhere. Enjoy the rest of your time with Nick in port.
  9. Blogger SheKnits posted at 12:52 PM  
    Wow! Pictures add... a lot of visual. I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope everything gets settled right away!

    Christine
  10. Blogger tania posted at 1:06 PM  
    wow! I'm just really glad you weren't in the car when it happened!! and I'm glad Nick was home as well...phew.

Post a Comment

« Home