Monday, May 02, 2005

Knitting, moving, and speaking progress.

Alright, so, I'm back "home" from my trip back home. It was wonderful. I'll get to more of that later.

Knitting:
I've started a clapotis for Christine. This is the progress so far. I'm using TLC Cotton Plus. I've heard both good and bad about the yarn and so I was a little concerned on if I would like working with it or not, but I really really do! It's 50% acrylic and 50% cotton. I can't tell there's any acrylic in it. So for someone that wants a "nicer" yarn for a "cheaper" price, this stuff is great.

I'm getting ready to start dropping stitches... just 2 more rows.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here's a closeup of the yarn.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Cotton Plus calls for a size 8 needle but I bumped it up to a size 9 after hearing of clappy's done on bigger needles having a nicer drape. And since Christine will be wearing this at the end of july I wanted it to be light and airy. Not heavy or bulky. What do you think? How about you Christine?

Okay, other knitting progress. I LOVE TO FELT!!!
My first felted bag is complete. It was inspired by the booga bag.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is a close-up:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here are the final bits of info on this finished object:

Pattern: Booga Bag (sorta)
Yarn: Paton's Classic Wool. 100% Merino. I rate this an A+. Already have more in my stash and will DEFINITLY DEFINITLY use it again. Except for felted objects I'd bump up the needle to 8 or 9.
Needles: Size 7 for bag size 9 for handles.
Things Learned: How to make an I-Cord & how to pick up stitches on the bottom of my work (on the cast on edge.)

I don't like the handles much. I think I will re-do them in just plain cream. But I left my yarn at my mom's house. Which leads me into my next topic.

Moving:
After 3 years of being on my own I have planned a temporary move back to my folk's house in Kentucky.
Why would I do such a crazy insane thing?

1-I don't like that my parents aren't around to see Zander grow up, and that he isn't around to see them.
2- I like being able to see my mom. We have a great relationship.
3- I want to finish school.
4- I want to get a job.
5- I will save money by living with my parents. (Fewer bills, and grochery shopping, diapers, etc. WOO HOO)
6- I will have a free babysitter for things like school and job.
As a side note. I am not completely spoiled... my parents invited me to move back in with them so that they would be around to help with things like baby sitting while I'm at school and work.
Now, the negative side. I just have no idea what I'm thinking. I'm going to drive myself mad living under the same roof as my parents. But the loneliness/bordeom of being by myself with no hubby, very few friends, and no family is starting to get to me.

So my mom is flying up May 19th and taking Zander back down to Kentucky with her on the 21st. I then will have several days to pack, clean, and enjoy some peace and quiet. And since Nick leaves again before all that it will be TRUE peace and quiet. And then sometime that following week I will pack our clothes, toys, and yarn into my car, grab my dog and cat and drive down to Kentucky. Anyone ever traveled with a cat before? 12 hour car ride traveling? Any tips/advice?

Okay, so ...
next topic: Speaking:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here is my little kiddo now. Hard to believe he's 19 months old. He had several amazing things happen while in Kentucky. The first is: His "sucky" (pacifier) is gone. THANK GOD! It actually went pretty well. He still has a little trouble going to sleep without it, but I was really hoping to have him broke of it this January, and then I pushed my goal to 18 months of age I wanted it gone. And about a week shy of his 19 month "birthday" we got rid of it.
It was one of those things where the anticipation of it was worse than the fight/result. It was fine. And now when I look at my son I think of what a big boy he is, and I'm so proud.
Also, he's saying mama now. WOO HOO. We had a hearing check today, turns out he's got some fluid in his middle ear. (that made me feel about "this big") so it will clear up with medication. And the audiologist seems to think that will help his speech. He should double his vocab every month once on the medication. So since he has 2 good solid words now (mama & dada) he should have 4 words by this time next month. And 8 the following month. etc etc.

Okay, gotta run. Hope I didn't bore you all too much.
Until next time,
Knit some.

Posted by Melanie at 2:14 PM

6 Comments

  1. Blogger Kathy posted at 5:07 PM  
    YAY!! You're back! I missed you!

    I LOVE the colors you chose for your bag. It looks fabulous!

    Moving back in with the parents? Yup, you are crazy. :) I adore my parents and get along well with them, but living with them? Nope. Couldn't do it.

    Glad you had a good trip home and am happy that you're moving where you will be happier. :)
  2. Blogger Pioggia posted at 10:27 PM  
    Not an easy decision, but a wise one. A child is a lot of hard work and it's nice that your family is willing to help out. I like your bag as it is, but you have to make the changes that please you, it's bad when you don't use or wear the things you make for simple details like that one.
  3. Blogger SheKnits posted at 1:34 PM  
    My Clappy looks GGGGreat!

    Im so excited for you to move back in with your parents. Im sure it will take some getting used to... and somethings you wont get used to. But it looks and sounds like the best thing for both you and Zander.

    Booga looks great! You may have to walk me through the steps once I get better with knitting!

    Zander is a cutie! Sending good thoughts and prayers his way, for the fluid in his ear and his speech! Everything will work out and be great!
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:29 PM  
    I travelled from Minnesota to California to Philadelphia with my cat, Libby. I put her in a kennel to start with and after a few hours let her out. She sat on top of the kennel next to me the rest of the way. The only hard thing was when we stayed in hotels overnight--it was hard to find her in the morning.

    She did great. Good luck to you!

    Kathie
  5. Blogger KnitNana posted at 9:56 AM  
    Love Clapotis! Gorgeous colors and I'm checking out this yarn...now traveling with a cat - keep her in her carrier. She will actually be happier and safer. She should stop crying soon after you get on the road (tho' not always)..but will start back up every time you stop. LOL! Ask the vet for meds to make it easier on her. Well worth the cost. The move is a GOOD idea! You need the support of family right now...
    (((huggles))) keep us posted!
  6. Blogger Kelly D posted at 11:48 AM  
    Hey Mel---Long time--no see!! I wa glad to read your new posts and go thru your old--anyway--my son had enlarged tonsils and adnoids and learned to hear and talk (which was late) like he was under water--FINALLY they took out his tonsils and adnoids and he had to relearn how to speak correctly--He is now 14 and makes honor roll and talks fine! sometimes too fine!!!!!! lol but its the same with the fluid in the middle ear--so dont feel bad-they cant tell us what they are goin through!!! You are a great mother and i love reading about Zander and your lives!!!!!!

Post a Comment

« Home