Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Knitted Hems

Anybody done any of these before? Sucesses? Failures? I'm starting to doubt my choice for following the pattern for my new sweater. I know you can unravel from the beginning and knit downwards... I'm wondering if I could be 2nd guessing myself too soon, though?

I'm knitting with mohair and it is knitting up incredibly airy and thin. I love the way it looks, but am wondering how much the stitching from turning the hem will show. I'm also a few days behind on the yarn harlot's blog and noticed her whole speech on rolled hems needing to be knit with smaller needles to keep from flaring. I wonder if the rolled hem is too much for this light yarn. Maybe a seed stitch would be better? Could I snip the cast on edge unravel to my purl round and then knit about an inch of seed instead. Will the "columns" line up correctly?

Pictures....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I actually love knitting with this yarn SOOO much that if it weren't mohair I'd just rip it all and start over with a better "border." But seeing as it's mohair and won't unravel well, I'd like to unravel as little as possible.

Thoughts?

Posted by Melanie at 8:11 PM

1 Comments

  1. Blogger MJ posted at 10:40 PM  
    I am no expert, but I would not unravel it. Mohair is really hard to unravel. But I haven't done a knitted hem either.

    Sorry, I guess I am not much help here! I would maybe pick up and do the seed stitch border or sew a hem.

    But your yarn is very pretty and will look great no matter what you choose.

Post a Comment

« Home